Mr Incredible, while being incredible in many ways is NOT incredibly good at getting out the door quickly in the morning.Since he was diagnosed as being allergic to wheat, this daily process has become harder. In my search to find an easy breakfast for him I chanced on this breakfast bar recipe by Nigella Lawson and I’m glad to say he loves it. Personally, I love it as it’s easily adaptable for whatever ingredients you have on hand – you don’t need to stick to Nigella’s recipe. Below, I’ve adapted it but you can see her original recipe here. I’m sure there’s a healthier alternative to condensed milk that you could use to bind this, but, as Mr Incredible likes it the way it is I’m not messing with what works (this time)!
Adapted from Nigella Lawson
- 1 can (395mL) condensed milk
- 250 grams rolled oats (not instant)
- 425 grams of mixed dry ingredients (I use a blend of almonds, cashews, shredded coconut, chia seeds, sultanas, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds and walnuts).
- Preheat your oven to 130 deg Celsius and line a roasting tray with baking paper
- Warm the condensed milk in a saucepan on the stove
- While that’s happening, mix all the dry ingredients
- When the condensed milk is thinner, pour it over the dry ingredients and mix (with your hands or a fork)
- Spread the mix into your prepared tray and press down with a spatula (or your hands)
- Bake for 1 hour and cut into 16 bars (4 cuts in each direction) and store in an airtight tin